Friday, May 28, 2010

V-Set Value Club – Topic: Your best friend and your worst enemy

Description:

In day to life, some of us have our best friends and enemies as well. In fact, the real friend or enemy is not outside of us but inside. Our mind can be either our best friend or our worst enemy. If we run after the fancy of the mind and do whatever it asks, our mind becomes our worst enemy. If we encourage the mind to think in the right direction and regulate its functioning, our mind becomes our best friend.

Intent:

To know the difference when our mind function as a friend or enemy
To encourage students to train their mind as a best friend
To make conscious effort every day to achieve this purpose

If mind acts according to my dictates then it is my friend
If I act according to the dictates of my mind then it is my enemy

Example: Rowdies and rogues involved in various crimes – their mind is their worst enemy. People living a conscientious life in individual level, professional level, family level and social level – their mind is their best friend.

Question:

When our mind turns into our worst enemy?
When our mind becomes our best friend?
What can we do to always befriend our mind?


Situation:

Worst enemy:
(We have to provide the following clues to the students to enable them to think and express their views)
 I want to study well to get good marks but I could not do so.
 At home my Dad and Mum scold me often and I argue with them. I don’t want to argue. But I could not do so.
 I fought with my friend and I stopped talking with my friend. After a few days my friend wanted to talk to me. But I could not do so.
 My friend calls me by nick name and mock at me. I wanted to ignore his comments. But I could not do so.
 I get amused when I tease my friends. Some of them feel offended. Some times I feel I should not hurt my friends’ feelings. But I could not do so.
 I am advised not to eat Ice cream and chocolates more. But I could not stop doing it.
 Elders at home always give me useful advice. I don’t give any heed to them though I want to follow.
 When we waste our time in gossiping and roaming during exam time.

Best Friend:

 When my mind tempts me to go in wrong ways like smoking, drinking etc. and my mind says firm ‘No’, then it becomes my best friend.
 When my friends tease me and make fun of me and my mind wants to react sharply, I counsel my mind, after all they are my friends, don’t take them seriously. Then my mind is my friend.
 Once upon a time my uncle gave lots of troubles to our family. Many times I have seen my mother in tears. One year back my uncle passed away with heart attack. His family is now in dire circumstances. My mother has started doing all kinds of help to my uncle’s family. Now I can say my mother’s mind is her best friend. I am also supporting my mother.
 When every one of us leaves the class room, I will wait and switch off the light and fan.
 When I expect flattery from others and do things to get others attention, my mind works as an enemy.
 When I am courageous my mind becomes best friend.
 I talked with my friend casually who betrayed me to the teacher the other day.
 When I am true to my friends my mind becomes best friend.



No comments: